Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Life as I know it...

So two weeks ago our ward was split. It was a much needed split because we had too many people to keep track of. The following Sunday I was called into the Bishops office and he asked if I would accept being released from my current calling as a relief society teacher. I was incredibly reluctant to answer his loaded question. Let me back up for a second...

My dad has always teased and asked when I was going to be in the relief society presidency. Any time I called him to tell him I was asked to serve somewhere, he would immediatly go for relief society. I would tell him that he was crazy and not to wish that on me, I was fine doing what I was doing.

Well, sitting in the Bishops office he asked if I would accept a call as the first counsilor in the R.S. presidency over enrichment. As I accepted and told him I would "love" to, I sat thought about my dad. I told the Bishop that anyone who wanted me in a presidency was crazy. When I got home from my interview I wanted so bad to tell him about my new calling. I knew it wouldnt be the same, but to satisfy my need, I called my parents home phone. (As some of you know, we've asked mom not to change the message cuz it's dad's voice) When I heard the beep I proceeded to tell my dad all about it. Dumb, huh?!

So, needless to say my schedule just got shuved into overdrive and life as I knew it no longer exhists. I hope and pray that I can keep it all together. I was overwhelmed with the immediate love and concern that I have for the sisters in my ward, and a desire to help them in anyway I can.

Wish me luck!!

9 comments:

Boyd Fam said...

You will do an amazing job... but Good Luck!

Hadfield said...

Becky as I read this little post, jimmy was sitting next to me watching the olympics. I read it fine the first time, and when I read it out loud to jimmy I couldnt help but show my emotions... yes that brought tears to my eyes. you will do great! And your dad is proud! we love you!

kim/ Gramma Stokes said...

Your dad knew you would be there one day and this day has come to be. You will be fabulous!! Love you! And your tacos are waiting for you! hehehehe

Larsen said...

I have already told you I think you are going to do great. Sucks to care so much huh! Kyle went through it too, where suddenly everyone was mega important to him, and that is hard to find a balance for in the beginning.

Your dad wasn't crazy to think you would serve in a RSP. He was foreshadowing it so it wouldn't shock you some day.

hee hee.

Krystal said...

just smile and say hi...
then you'll already be 10x better than my ward:)

Krystal said...

just smile and say hi...
then you'll already be 10x better than my ward:)

Red Head Family said...

Becky I am so excited for you. I wish I could see you every Sunday. You will learn so much (sometimes more than you want to know)and it will change your life. Keep us posted. I love you calling to tel your Dad. You must have had a great relationship with him and I sometimes wish I had that with mine.

Mindie said...

Wow! That is exciting. Good for you, your ward is lucky to have you! xoxoxo

Julie said...

Becky -
Grandma told me about your new calling a couple of weeks ago and I've been meaning to call. I think I'm feeling a lot like you are at the moment. A little dazed. I was set apart as Primary President on Sunday. I didn't see it coming either. I wanted to tell you though, my parents came to our meeting Sunday. During the sacrament I looked over at my dad and I could see tears starting to spill down his face. He had a hymn book open and was reading the words to "Faith in Every Footstep" They are pasted into the back of our hymnbooks. He must have read it ten times. He misses your dad so much. I thought about you and your new calling and how proud he is of you. I know he's watching over all of you. Thank you for being such a good example of a mother & daughter. It takes a lot of courage. I will call you soon. Lots of love.