Thursday, October 23, 2008

I am posting an email that I received from a friend of mine. She puts things into perspective... Some of the email I have kept out to keep it reasonable in length.

Dear family and friends,
Early this morning at about 1:45ish we were woken up by our good neighbor pounding on our door and yelling loudly to wake us up! He was there to quickly inform us that there was a fire on our mountain, and we needed to get up, get the kids out, and get ready to defend our home.
Our family knows how wildly dangerous and destructive fires can be, but we also know, with a sure knowledge, that heaven isn't far away. Modern miracles happen. Prayers are heard. Angels are sent to help us when we need them most. And, most importantly, no matter how prepared we are it is still not enough without Heavenly Father's help.
Early this morning, a few good men showed up from the church to help Ty fight and defend our home. Ty has spent countless hours, and years preparing for events such as these. He has thought of every little thing doing whatever he can do to be self-sufficient and prepare for the worst. It calms us, somewhat, knowing we are doing everything we can, but it still feels like it is not enough when faced with the massive force of fire.
Not too long into the night and other fire-fighting forces began to pour in. Because this fire was the only fire in the area, many resources were sent from all over to help out. I watched as an army of fire fighters pulled their forces together and faced the fire monster head on. They formed a protective line of defense and did what they were trained to do in these situations. They proceeded to back-light the fire to form an area that they could contain the fire in. Still, with the winds and heat as strong as they were, nothing was a guarantee. As I looked though borrowed binoculars, I was amazed at how many firefighters were on the ground fighting this beast. There is strength in numbers. Without a doubt, there is strength in numbers!
As I watched and prayed through those many hours, a lot of thoughts went through my mind. This wicked fire and its destructive power reminded me of the destructive forces we face right now in our state and in our beloved nation. I know and realize that Satan and his evil forces have always been around through all generations of time, but boy, it sure feels like the heat has really been turned up lately. Every day I wake up and feel like we are all being asked, quite literally, to fight off the fires of the adversary and to defend truth and righteousness with all our might. I don't know about you, but fires scare me to death! I feel like I have no control over them. Mostly, I just feel overwhelmed and want to run away and hide. Who really wants to face that kind of monster head on anyway?
Well, I hope and pray that as we fight for truth and righteousness that we will not fear, or run away. I hope we can unite our own families, our neighbors, our wards and stakes, and our state and nation. Moral and good people everywhere need to unite together and stand for truth. The silent majority can longer have the luxury of being silent anymore. Together, we need to fight the evil and destructive forces that face us head on and not back down. We can do this not with anger or malice, but with real humble strength, and with a peaceful confidence.
United we stand, divided we fall. There is strength in numbers!

No comments: